"Dumping" is not strong enough a word.....

Lynski
on 11/29/08 9:19 am - Central, MA
...  for what I felt like today!
I am only about a week and a hallf out and have been doing great, up til this morning (around 11).
My husband made bacon and scrambled eggs.  I am on the pureed stage, but figured I'd be ok if I chewed the eggs thoroughly.  And I will admit to 1/2 piece of bacon which I thought would be ok if I chewed it really small, since I've been feeling so good.  Add to this the fact that I may have eaten too fast.
What a mistake!!! 
I had what I guess is called the foamies.  Threw up a few times throughout the afternoon and had a tightness in my chest and back.
I didn't start feeling better til about an hour ago.
So, I will not be having eggs for a VERY long time and not be having bacon for even longer. 
I guess this is the deterrent called dumping.  It sure taught me a lesson.  I never want to go through that again.
Back to Cream of Wheat!
Lynne

This is me on my way to Tahiti!!
purplefans
on 11/29/08 10:29 am - MA
Sorry that you had that problem.  It's really important to the recovery of the pouch to eat the right way - you don't want to blow a stitch or anything!    You will eventually be able to eat bacon and eggs.   The weeks during recovery do get long, but it's for the best that you do what your doctor and nut tell you. 

foobear
on 11/30/08 12:51 am - Medford, MA
Getting something stuck or eating too quickly (usually too soon post-op) and getting the foamies as a result is not "dumping". 

/Steve
purplefans
on 11/30/08 3:12 am - MA
I didn't want to be the one to tell you that wasn't "dumping".  I haven't had "dumping" so I can't tell you exactly what it's like, just that I don't want to have it! 

sunnymoonx
on 11/30/08 4:07 am - cape cod, MA
i still can't have bacon. i dump from it every time. too much fat or something. turkey bacon is ok.

~Debbie~

~~Here's mah Blog~~
   Through Thick n Thin

Lynski
on 11/30/08 4:22 am - Central, MA
Okay, so I wasn't dumping.  Foamies only.
So I have to assume that dumping is worse?
Lord help me, I will promise from this day forward to avoid dumping!
The foamies were painful enough.

This is me on my way to Tahiti!!
foobear
on 11/30/08 3:19 pm - Medford, MA
I've only had the "foamies" once, and that was at 1 mo. post-op when I ate too much of what I shouldn't have been eating at 1 mo. post-op too quickly.  Lesson learned!

(Actually, I would get the "foamies" pre-op whenever I ate anything with clams, clam juice or even a trace of clam in it.  I have NO idea why, but the syndrome was indistinguishable from what I experienced last year after my RNY.)

I've never dumped, but I haven't exactly been testing the limits frequently to see what I can get away with.  However, I don't seem to be extremely sensitive to sugars or fats.  On very rare occasions (like last Thursday, frinstance) I'll have a half-serving of a sweet dessert, and it hasn't caused me problems yet.  I understand though that just because you haven't dumped after a particular potential trigger food doesn't mean that you never will.  I'll probably have to experience it once to ensure that I'll be extra extra cautious.

/Steve
purplefans
on 11/30/08 5:21 am - MA
Lesson learned!
Time to go forward!
For me week 3 was the toughest, because I really
really wanted real food.

I bought some organic black bean chili which I
cooked and mushed up, and it was great, along
with some mashed potatoes!  Lots of protein
and taste!

CareNH
on 11/30/08 6:08 am - Derry, NH
I have only had dumping once- but the "foamies" were MUCH worse.

Early on, I had vitamins get stuck- and foamed, regurgitated, had that horrible pressure, etc.... 5 or 6 times before they finally passed or dissolved.

Needless to say, I only do liquid/chewable vitamins even to this day- I am paranoid and do not want to re-visit that horrible feeling.

It takes a while to get used to what and how to eat.

My dumping episode consisted of profuse sweating, paplitations and some mild stomach cramping. (I actually thought it was the beginning of menopause- before the cramping :)

I think the Foamies and stuck food are a much more uncomfortable experience.
Good Luck on the journey!
Carolyn

Highest Weight- 306, BMI: 43.9
Current Weight- 168, BMI: 24.1
Goal Weight- 165,  BMI:  23.6

Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2253 views
Total Cost